Core Products & Services
Teakle Composites design, develop and manufacture products utilising fibre composite materials (glass fibre and carbon fibre) in Australia and Internationally.
Mechanical and mechatronic design concept development – we are experienced in the generation, evaluation and selection of design solutions.
3D solid modelling and (when required) 2D engineering drawings using SolidWorks® Office Premium CAD software. This is useful for visualisation, simulation or animation of the design before it is built. It helps you understand and market the design, helps us eliminate errors and is useful for transmitting design data to subcontractors e.g. CNC machine shops.
Engineering calculations are performed and documented using Mathcad™ software, which simplifies verification by clients and third parties. Results can be instantly and accurately recalculated when any changes are made.
Finite Element Analysis using MSC AFEA™ to solve a wide range of problems, from simple linear statics to complex nonlinear contact, buckling, dynamics, and heat transfer analyses with simple or sophisticated material models.
Filament winding, which produces precise high performance components. We have particular expertise in designing, analysing and manufacturing filament wound components. Our machines are capable of winding parts 5 at a time up to 9 metres long and 900 mm diameter.
Prototype construction using filament winding, hand lamination with vacuum bag consolidation, resin infusion and vacuum assisted resin transfer moulding.
Solid propellant rockets and gas generators - design, manufacturing and testing
- Air-conditioned workshop
- Filament winding machines for parts up to 9 metres long and 900 mm diameter
- Curing ovens
- Lathe, mill, horizontal bandsaw, drill press, pedestal grinder, workshop tools
- Heated hydraulic press: 40 tonnes, 180°C max, 600 mm x 600 mm x 300 mm for high quality parts and specimens
- Hydraulic power pack with hydraulic rams for load testing and oil/water cylinder for hydrostatic testing
- Vacuum pumps for vacuum assisted resin transfer moulding, resin infusion, vacuum bagging, vacuum mixing and vacuum casting
- Explosives magazine for rocket motor storage licensed to 500 kg NEQ
- Composites fabrication equipment
- Instrumentation: thermocouples, pressure transducers, load cells, data acquisition card
- Hardness and toughness measuring machines
- Freezer storage
- Access to mechanical, materials and chemical testing laboratories, e.g. Instron load testing machines, MTS fatigue testing machines, Pyrolysis Gas-Chromatography Mass-Spectrometry (Py-GC-MS), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA) etc.
- Access to research libraries and online research publications
- SolidWorks® Office Premium for 3D solid modelling, 2D engineering drawings, animations, visualisation and basic finite element analyses
- MSC AFEA™ for complex finite element analyses such as nonlinear contact, buckling, dynamics, and heat transfer analyses with simple or sophisticated material models
- Mathcad™ for documenting engineering calculations and basic programs
- National Instruments LabView for data acquisition and machine control
- Filament winding of pipes, tanks, pressure vessels, housings etc.
- Contact moulding/hand lamination, vacuum bagging, resin infusion, vacuum assisted resin transfer moulding, hot pressing
- Composite propellant processing: milling of oxidisers, vacuum heated mixing of propellant slurries in batches up to 20 kg, vacuum casting, testing of propellant samples, on-site static testing of rocket motors up to 60 kg NEQ and 35 kN thrust
Skills and qualifications
- Licence to Manufacture Explosives for an Explosives Factory (Qld Explosives Inspectorate)
- Authorisation of solid rocket propellant (Qld Explosives Inspectorate)
- Staff with Bachelors, Masters, PhD and registered professional engineer (RPEQ) qualifications in mechanical engineering
- Staff with Composite Technician Level 3 trade qualifications